Friday, March 5, 2021

Never (ever) say never

It feels funny now, but it didn't feel funny yesterday ... What I happened to write in my previous blog post few days ago, about not expecting any problems whatsoever, really, even that I haven't yet recorded anything in this new environment. I felt it while I was writing that comment, that this is stupid, you know, usually when someone expects no problems, then problems he/she will get in that matter. And that's exactly what happened in my case, too! :) I can smile about it already, but well ... I won't go into details, but let's put it this way; yeah, I was not expecting any problems. Yet I got bunch of problems. I had just listened the opening track and felt like it will be interesting to test record some vocals for it. Then I opened my DAW software and bang, I soon noticed that not only I couldn't record a thing, but I couldn't even get the projects playing at all. At first I almost laughed, because I thought it's really quick thing to fix, nothing big, certainly not something that takes much time. You can guess how it went, right? It wasn't quick thing to fix at all, there were about 3-4 problems at first that I spotted, and as I got few sorted, I thought it's soon done. But it wasn't. I couldn't get it all sorted out for some good 8+ hours or so (!) ... in the end it was pretty simple hardware problems and I got them all sorted out but damn it was frustrating. Itching to start doing some tests after half a year break from it all, and then I can't do a thing.

Well, that's all about that, bad news that vocals recording got a really buggy and frustrating start.

The good news is, that after I got the problems sorted and I got into doing tests and even recording for real. Even that I had about half a year complete break from the whole project, I was surprised how I could instantly see how I had arranged the lyrics/vocals in my mind six months ago. That meant I got into recording pretty soon. Yeah.

I have recorded layered vocals for three tracks already. I'm not sure yet if they are final recordings but in some case they could well be. Even if I got bad start for recording vocals, now it's going really good and it's certainly much more relaxed recording the vocals in my own "space", both physically and mentally. I can't say it would be easy, as I'm aiming for certain kind of twisted mood here and there - it all goes with the grand tale the album is telling about. Heavy tales and heavy music. Not just heavy, there are something mellow and strange too, gotta see if I could try some new vocal styles ... in any case, since I'm not in hurry, I have all the time I need for getting the best possible moods out of myself. Recording vocals has always been something where I'm out of my comfort zone, so to speak. But it feels good to challenge oneself, sure.

Pictures below from today's session.



No comments:

Post a Comment