Wednesday, June 17, 2020

Bassworks vol.2

During past few days I've continued the journey with basslines. Several songs have now pretty much final bassguitars recorded and it sounds sweet to me (definition of "sweet" might differ here according to whom you might ask, for example my wife wouldn't call the bass sound so sweet necessarily) ... :)

While I've been busy recording the basslines, some songs have got slight structural changes while at it. Nothing too major though, some longer intro section here and stuff like that there. While I've recorded bass, I've occasionally recorded unconventional basslines on the fly without trying first how it fits. Which is quite freaky since I don't consider myself as much bass player, more like basic jammer. After recording with pure intuition / feeling, I've listened the results with curiosity. Most the time these intuitional bassguitar moments have been saved because they work so well, which makes me just glad. Some twisted sections here and there, in some cases with one take only. Also, some guitar riffs sound seemingly simple, yet in reality they are such cases that I've had to be more creative with bass here and there. Not all the time, there are lots of straightforward true doom metal playing for sure. 

Also worth mentioning is, that while I've been recording the basslines, I've started to get ideas for song titles and at times also lyrics and they connect with the album title I've had in mind for some weeks already. The song titles so far feel inspiring and here's a good example from earlier today: I was listening to one of the new songs and "feeling" the song title idea I earlier had for just this song. Suddenly some lyrics started coming to me, connecting to the song title and what a great feeling as while listening to the heavy (what I think is) chorus section, I mentally tried arranging the lyrics there and they felt like they fitted in perfectly! Talk about intuitive process.

Well, for now I still have some bassguitars to be recorded, so the work continues. Great mood ... for doom! \m/

No comments:

Post a Comment